The Sydney funnel web spider is among the most dangerous spiders in all the world. Some consider them to be the most dangerous. With this status, the Sydney funnel web spider also inherits some of the silliest myths and stories. Much like the black mamba of the snake world, this spider has been built up to be the ultimate nightmare of the spider world.
Ironically, the truth about the Sydney funnel web spider is plenty scary enough. This spider has the ability to kill a healthy human being without proper treatment of a bite, and it is not hesitant to deliver a deep bite. The Sydney funnel web spider is highly aggressive when threatened or encountered, though not to the levels they are purported to reach. Here are some of the hilarious Sydney funnel web spider myths and stories I have heard in my studies:
Sydney funnel web spider Myths and Stories:
- One website that I came across said that the Sydney funnel web spider he encountered literally chased him for half a mile….. Really.
- Another myth was that the Sydney funnel web spider was milked and filled up two cups full of venom. This is not even funny it is so stupid.
- A fairly respected website I came across said that the Sydney funnel web spider can grow as big as a dinner plate. Again, that is a massive exaggeration.
- The Sydney funnel web spider does not kill people in five minutes. As a matter of fact, their have been no recorded human deaths since the advent of antivenin. The venom is seriously dangerous without the antivenin, however. Not five minutes deadly, but deadly all the same.
- Sydney funnel web spiders do not “set up house” inside of homes. Males wander at night, and sometimes become trapped inside. They do not wish to stay there, and will get out given the chance. They do not stay on purpose.
- The Sydney funnel web spider does not jump up on top of people to bite them. This again, is an exaggeration probably stemming from the fact that they rear up on their hind legs and stab with their fangs when they bite. They do not leap across the room to chase you down.